In 2009, as part of the Museum’s centenary celebrations, we launched the Science Museum Group Fellows Programme to recognise some of the scientists and individuals who have changed our world through academic research, design, technology and philanthropy.
Every year we invite selected individuals to join the programme and become Fellows of the Science Museum Group. Those listed below have been both nominated and elected.
2019 FELLOWSHIP AWARDS
- Dr Fabiola Gianotti—in recognition of her distinguished research contributions to the field of particle physics and continued dedication to the advancement of education in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
- Sir Tim Berners-Lee—in recognition of his great distinction in pioneering a technological innovation, the World Wide Web, which continues to benefit people all over the world, and his continued support of the Science Museum Group.
- Baroness Lane Fox—in recognition of her continued support of the Science Museum and her commitment to shaping the digital future of the UK and wider world.
- Sir Kenneth Grange—in recognition of his exceptional career in design that has helped shape the industrial future of the modern world, and for his continued support of the National Railway Museum.
2018 FELLOWSHIP AWARDS
Sir Mark Walport—in appreciation of his distinguished contribution to the advancement of science education and research.
Dame Margaret Weston (d. 2021)—in recognition of her dedication to the Science Museum Group both during her time as Director and in the years since.
HRH The Princess Royal—in recognition of her great support of women in science and engineering and encouragement of young people to engage further with science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
FELLOWS OF THE SCIENCE MUSEUM
- Timothy Peake, elected 2017
- Sir Venki Ramakrishnan, elected 2017
- Professor Dame Ann Dowling, elected 2016
- Dr Helen Sharman, elected 2016
- Rt Hon George Osborne, elected 2016
- Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell, elected 2016
- David Harding, elected 2015
- Professor John O’Keefe, elected 2015
- Alexei Arkhipovich Leonov, elected 2015
- Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation Ms Olga Golodets,
- Dr Valentina Tereshkova, elected 2015
- Her Majesty The Queen, elected 2014
- His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, elected 2014 (d.2021)
- Dr Douglas Gurr, elected 2014
- Professor Peter Higgs, elected 2013
- The Lord Rees of Ludlow, elected 2013
- Michael G Wilson, elected 2013
- Professor Stephen Hawking, elected 2012 (d. 2018)
- Professor Rolf-Dieter Heuer, elected 2012
- Sir David Attenborough, elected 2010
- Professor Dame Jocelyn Bell-Burnell, elected 2010
- Professor Dame Athene Donald, elected 2010
- Baroness Susan Greenfield, elected 2010
- James Lovelock, elected 2010
- Professor Wangari Maathai, elected 2010 (d.2011)
- Sir James Black, elected 2009 (d.2010)
- Sir John Cornforth, elected 2009 (d.2013)
- Professor Christian de Duve, elected 2009 (d.2013)
- Professor Antony Hewish, elected 2009
- Sir Timothy Hunt, elected 2009
- Sir Andrew Huxley, elected 2009 (d.2012)
- Professor Brian Josephson, elected 2009
- Sir Harold Kroto, elected 2009 (d.2016)
- Sir Anthony Leggett, elected 2009
- Sir Peter Mansfield, elected 2009 (d.2017)
- Sir Paul Nurse, elected 2009
- Sir Richard Roberts, elected 2009
- Sir Martin Smith, elected 2009
- Professor Sir John Sulston, elected 2009 (d. 2018)
- Sir John Walker, elected 2009